Monday, September 23, 2013

Guest Room: Part 4, Now Mia's Big Girl Room

We moved Mia into the guest room almost 2 months ago. We're keeping the nursery essentially the same (with the addition of a new rug), and I went a little wild decorating Mia's Big Girl Room (which is how she still refers to it, herself).

Her favorite color is purple, but finding a purple paint that doesn't look either too bright and crazy or too gray and mature was a battle I didn't have the energy for. Plus, who knows how long she'll love purple for. So I was inspired by this room I saw on Pinterest. I fell in love with the Pottery Barn Brooklyn quilt. It's girly, but not immature, and I loved the aqua and purple combination.

The funny thing was, when I went to pick a paint color, I ended up picking almost the same color that was already on the walls, so Jeff only had to paint over the stripes (Sherwin Williams Gray Screen, 2 coats of paint and primer in one).


I knew I wanted a white daybed with a trundle. Since we no longer have a guest room I wanted a place for guests if we absolutely needed one. And I wanted a daybed because the bed can't be pushed into the corner due to the placement of the heating vent. We found this bed at a local kid's furniture store, and instead of a daybed we ordered a regular bed with two footboards so that the ends are equal heights.


I found a dresser on Craigslist that I painted (Sherwin Williams Jet Stream) and added acrylic knobs to (the knobs cost more than the dresser!). I found a mirror at Home Goods that I painted (Behr Purple Mauve) and hung with a million of those command velcro strips. My mother made curtains from a Waverly damask/ikat print fabric.




All it really needs is something hanging over the dresser, but other than that I absolutely love this room. It is soft and pretty, and Mia loves it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment