Friday, July 16, 2010

Our First DIY Project

Before we bought our house I found this dresser at a garage sale. It was $15, but by the way Jeff and I discussed it, you might have thought it was $115. We just weren't sure there was room in our 2 bedroom apartment.

I loved the retro-feel; the slight curve of the drawers and the spindle legs (not pictured above). And I love finding inexpensive furniture in good condition that I can really make my own.

I imagined stripping it and refinishing it, until I realized the top was laminate and the drawers were just veneer. So we decided to paint it, and for reasons I cannot remember we decided on a bold orangey-red - Sherwin Williams "Red Cent."

It was the first DIY project Jeff and I tackled together. We did it in my parent's garage, and I impressed upon Jeff all of my knowledge of furniture refinishing.

She sat perfectly in a nook in the dining area of our apartment for a few years, and I was nervous when we moved to our house because I knew I wanted to paint the wall in our dining room where it would sit green. I wasn't sure how that would look, but I think it works. It's a happy pop of color, and all told we only spent about $40 on it. I use it to store odds and ends that don't fit in our kitchen cabinets: dish towels, wine openers, note pads, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment