Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Befores

Our house is the second house we looked at while house-hunting. The first one smelled strongly of old people and had weird acoustic ceiling tiles throughout, so this was an improvement. At least I thought so. Jeff was less impressed.

We looked at several more over the next few weeks - houses with updated kitchens and bathrooms, houses with refinished hardwood floors, houses out of our comfortable price range. I kept coming back to this one. It was built in 1954 and had only had 2 owners over that time. It has a newer roof and furnace. I couldn't justify buying a house with a brand new kitchen just to have to turn around and drop a lot of cash on a new roof. I can't invite friends over to ogle my new roof!


This house was a blank slate design-wise. It had good bones, but not much else. Everything was painted just a shade or two off-white (and when I say everything, I mean everything: light switches, picture hangers, bulletin boards [yes, BULLETIN BOARDS!] were all painted over). It was perfect for someone like me that wanted to put her own stamp on it.

This is what it looked like when we moved in:


The entryway (with rotary phone)


The Dining Room

The minty green kitchen with the avocado stove/microwave combination

The main bathroom

One of the bedrooms that we use as an office

The "Master" Bedroom

The Guest Room (you can't tell here, but it was Pepto-bismol pink)

The "Finished" Basement

No comments:

Post a Comment