Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Coveting

In college I got it in my head that I wanted - NEEDED - a laminate-topped, tubular steel, retro kitchen table, like the one that had sat in my Granny's home for 40+ years. I had no idea how I was going to procure one, but it must have been in the stars, because one Saturday my junior year, my roommate and I were at a flea market and she spotted one being used as a display for a merchant's wares. She haggled with him and threatened to walk away this instant, until he finally agreed to let me have it... for $40. I know, clearly I have an issue with "overspending" on furniture.

The table came with 4 disgusting vinyl covered chairs which I took home and re-covered, but eventually discarded. I took some steel wool and dish soap to the table and cleaned it up until it was shining again. I loved loved loved that table (still do!). I've never seen another in that style that I like as much.

It still currently resides with me, along with 4 chairs from Target that I got for $25 each.


It has fit perfectly into every apartment I've lived in, but now I have a little more room. And now when we have dinner guests there is barely enough room for 4 plates, let alone drinks and silverware!

So, while I love my retro table, I long to replace it with a chunky farm table. A farm table with a matching bench and seating for six. My mouth is watering just imagining it. The table I lust after is this Pacifica Table from Crate and Barrel (in the 60" version).


Possibly with some white wooden chairs like these from West Elm


I've sold Jeff on the idea, now I just need to save my pennies.

No comments:

Post a Comment