Friday, February 11, 2011

6 Years

7 years ago a few days after Valentine's Day I was a college senior working in my studio space on campus. I overheard 2 girls talking about what their boyfriend's did for them for Valentine's Day. (I personally, had had an comically awful Valentine's Day consisting of eating KFC with my roommate after a disastrous double date ended early.) I was listening in on their conversation for lack of anything else to listen to, and also out of curiosity. I didn't know either of the girls other than in passing but found them slightly snobby. I am most curious by that which repels me.

The details are irrelevant, but a few months later I was at a diner with some friends. I saw one of the girls there with what I assumed was her boyfriend. I recalled the conversation from the studio and was curious to put a face to the story. He was apparently unimpressive at the time because when I formally met him several months later I didn't remember him until he told me about his girlfriend.

We met in the kitchen of the house I was living in at the time with 4 guys I barely knew. He came over to study and promptly dumped his girlfriend. I took a little more convincing. But I am so glad he took the time.

4 days before Valentine's Day 6 years ago he kissed me, and we've been inseparable ever since.

If you could have tapped me on the shoulder in that diner 7 years ago and told me how this would all unfold between me and the strange boy in the booth across the room I would have had you committed.

But I am thrilled it did.


2005


2006


2007


2008


2009


2010


2011 (okay, it's really 2010, but I don't have any pictures of us together in 2011 yet)

No comments:

Post a Comment