Thursday, January 7, 2016

2015 in Review

1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before? 
Took my kids camping, watched Mia in her first dance recital, got Mia's ears pierced, watched Mia learn to read and ride a bike. Took Gracie on an airplane (which was exactly as terrible as I thought it would be). 

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Last year I said, "I want to continue getting in shape and losing weight, and I HAVE to be more frugal, there's no more trying." I am definitely (endurance and strength-wise) in better shape than I've been in years, but the scale hasn't moved much. And we are a few months away from paying off some major debt, so I think I was pretty successful there too, but there's always room for improvement. In 2016, I still want to lose weight and continue to get in better shape. I also want to be a better saver (with money). I want to spend less time staring at my phone and more time engaged with the world about me. And I'd like to get a start on figuring out what I want to be when I grow up (i.e. when the kids are in school full time).

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?  
Jeff's cousin had a baby in March, and Jeff's brother and sister both had new babies in September. 

4. Did anyone close to you die? No. (I always feel too superstitious to answer this question before January 1st)

5. Where did you travel? We went to Florida in February with all of Jeff's co-workers and their families - it was great because it was -3 degrees here. Also trips to Syracuse and Buffalo and a fun weekend camping trip about an hour south of here. 

6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015? Last year I said "I'd like to have more clarity about whether I want to grow our family or whether I'm settled with 2 children." And I finally feel like I have stopped debating this in my head multiple times a day. Two is just right for us. In 2016 I want a new family room rug, and possibly a dog to ruin said rug. 

7. What dates from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? 
September 13, birthdate of our new nephew and September 30, birthdate of our new niece. 

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Out of the whole year I don't think I went a whole week without working out, most weeks I worked out at least 3 times. I can run 4 miles in 38.5 minutes. I don't think I've been this strong since high school. I was terrified of falling into a depression/anxiety-spiral last winter, especially because it was one of the coldest and longest I ever remember, and working out regularly definitely helped me stave that off, big time. 

9. What was your biggest failure? Any time I lost my temper at my kids, and now seeing Mia mirroring my short temper and the snotty way I talk when I'm frustrated.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? 2 sinus infections. 

11. What was the best thing you bought? I really didn't buy much this year, trying to be frugal. We had to spend a lot of money on maintenance things around the house - landscaping, a new dishwasher and a boatload of money on insulation in the attic. For Christmas I did get a new kitchen table off of Craigslist which I refinished and LOVE. 

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?  I think I usually say my husband, and that holds up, he has to deal with my crazy ass. 

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Mass shooters and terrorists. It's a scary world. 

14. Where did most of your money go? The mortgage and groceries.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? My parents moving 15 minutes away. I love seeing them whenever I want and having babysitters nearby has been Life. Changing. 

16. What song will always remind you of 2015? Bad Blood (Taylor Swift),  Shut up & Dance (Walk the Moon), and Uptown Funk (Bruno Mars).
 
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? About the same - happy
b) thinner or fatter? About the same, but stronger 
c) richer or poorer?
"Richer"

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Hmmm, I honestly can't think of anything.
 
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?  Stared at my phone. I'm working on it. 

20. How did you spend Christmas? Christmas Eve we went to my parents' church service then had dinner at their house. Christmas morning was at our house and my brother and parents came for breakfast. Then we went to Buffalo to Jeff's parents', his sister's, and his aunt's houses. 

21. Did you fall in love in 2015? It's always the same answer, more and more with my family.

22. What was your favorite TV program? The Good Wife, Homeland, Orange is the New Black, Life in Pieces, Making a Murderer

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Donald Trump

24. What was the best book you read?  I read a lot of good books this year, nothing that was far and away the best. My favorites were probably Americanah (Adichie), The Girl on the Train (Hawkins), All the Light we Cannot See (Doerr), Instructions for a Heatwave (O'Farrell), A Little Life (Yanagihara), and Circling the Sun (McLain). 

25. What was your favorite music?  I mostly listened to pop music this year because that's what the kids like to listen to, can't say there was anything new. A lot of Taylor Swift. 

26. What did you want and get? I finally got a mantle (and a new fireplace screen) for my birthday! 

27. What did you want and not get? Same answer as last year - a new living/family room rug. Also, a smaller waist-line.

28. What was your favorite film of this year? I think the only movies I saw in the theater were American Sniper, Pitch Perfect 2, and Minions. Also loved Boyhood and Chef, and enjoyed Trainwreck and Whiplash.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 33 on Labor Day (and it was 90 degrees out). A few nights before Jeff and I went out to dinner and had drinks, then on my birthday my parents came over for Indian food. And Jeff and his brother made and installed my mantle. 
 
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Same as last year - If my husband's old company had sold so we could cash in on all our stock options.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015? Jeans and tees and sweaters with boots or flats. I don't think I'll ever be a fashionista. 


32. What kept you sane? Sunshine. Exercise. Coffee. My family. Good books. Good food. Fresh Air. Podcasts. Cocktails. Date Nights. Netflix. Chocolate. 

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Jeffrey Dean Morgan

34. What political issue stirred you the most? Gun control, good Lord, gun control!

35. Who did you miss? I miss my older brother, sister-in-law and nieces and nephew who moved to Connecticut in June. We were sooooo close to having all of my family living in one place at one time for the first time in 18 years. I'm still bummed it didn't happen and so sad that Mia and Gracie don't get to grow up close to their cousins. 

36. Who was the best new person you met? My new niece and nephew, new mom friends at Mia's school.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015. I rarely have an answer for this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment