Sunday, January 4, 2015

2014 in Review

1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before? Pet a giraffe, watched my little brother graduate from college, sent my first-born to preschool, watched my second-born learn to walk, took my kids apple picking, took a long road trip with 2 kids and dipped Gracie's toes in the ocean. 

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Last year I said, "I want to lose weight and be more frugal and save more money. I also want to be nicer to my husband." In 2014 I lost weight and gained weight and I'm probably not any lighter now than I was a year ago, but I'm definitely in better shape. I was not more frugal, but I tried really hard to be nicer to my husband. You win some, you lose some. In 2015, I want to continue getting in shape and losing weight, and I HAVE to be more frugal, there's no more trying.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? A good friend had a baby in April, Jeff's cousin had a baby in October and a new friend/neighbor had a baby in early December. 

4. Did anyone close to you die? My sister-in-law's mom died in October. I wasn't terribly close to her, but was heartbroken for my sister-in-law and her boys.
5. Where did you travel? We took an awesome road trip with my whole family to the Outer Banks in July. I was so stressed about how Gracie would fare in the car and whether she would sleep all week, but it was great beyond my wildest expectations.
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014? Last year I said, "I want to find our Forever House, specifically one where the floors don't creak and sound doesn't carry like a sonofabitch. Where I can get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night or put in a load of laundry during nap time without worrying I'll wake everyone up." And, oh, we found it! I thought it would be so hard to leave our first house behind, but I love this new house so so much. The floors creak, but we have so much room, and we have a master suite so I can go to the bathroom any time I please! Anyway... back to the question at hand - in 2015 I'd like to have more clarity about whether I want to grow our family or whether I'm settled with 2 children. Other than that I do not feel I was lacking anything. 

7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? April 16, the day we closed on our house. October 10, when Jeff's cousin had her baby, who will grow up as close as a cousin to Mia and Gracie.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Breastfeeding Gracie until 10 1/2 months when she abruptly wanted nothing else to do with the boob and surviving until July with some serious sleep-deprivation while we worked through Gracie's sleep issues.
9. What was your biggest failure? Overspending money. 

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Lots of colds and a urinary tract infection (tmi?)
11. What was the best thing you bought? Our new house, followed closely by paying someone to remove the wallpaper and paint the first floor of said house, followed thirdly by a king-sized bed and a huge sectional couch.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My husband
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Walter White

14. Where did most of your money go? The mortgage.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Finding, buying, and moving into our new house. Going to the beach. Mia starting preschool. Gracie's first birthday.

16. What song will always remind you of 2014? "Shake it off" and anything by Iggy Azalea or Ariana Grande - Mia loves any good dance pop song.
 
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) thinner or fatter? About the same
c) richer or poorer?
About the same

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?  I wish I'd been more frugal and saved more money. 

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? I wish I'd lost my temper less. (Same answers as last year...)

20. How did you spend Christmas? The weekend before Christmas we spent the night in Buffalo to celebrate with Jeff's family. Christmas Eve my family took all the kids to Skyzone, then everyone had pizza at our house. My parents and younger brother stayed at our house where we had Christmas morning, then Christmas dinner was at my older brother's house. It was so nice not to travel anywhere on Christmas day, and Mia was so into Christmas morning this year.
21. Did you fall in love in 2014? The same answer as every year, more and more with my little family.

22. What was your favorite TV program? The Good Wife, Homeland, Orange is the New Black, Scandal. We finished Breaking Bad, but I would not say it was a favorite. 

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No.
24. What was the best book you read? The Paris Wife by Paula McLain, honorable mention to We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
25. What was your favorite music? I finally came around to Taylor Swift, something about her rubs me the wrong way, but damn if I don't love her music. And she's not such a bad role model for my girls.
26. What did you want and get? A house that fits our family perfectly and makes me so happy. And I got my husband back to working a normal 8-6, Monday-Friday schedule at a new job he loves rather than the 60 hour work weeks we had been enduring.
27. What did you want and not get? Same answer as last year - a new living room rug. Also, a smaller waist-line. And a mantle for my fireplace. 

28. What was your favorite film of this year? The only movies I saw in the theater this year were Frozen, Gone Girl and Annie. Other than that I'm drawing a blank on any other movies we watched, let alone good ones.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 32. The night before my birthday Jeff and I went out to dinner with friends, drank Mojitos and laughed more than I have in a long time. On my birthday my family came over for brunch and cake. 
 
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? If my husband's old company had sold so we could cash in on all our stock options.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014? Leggings or skinny jeans with long, flowy tops and boots or flats. 


32. What kept you sane? Sunshine. My family. Close friends I can vent to. Good books. HGTV. Wine. Netflix. My big, comfy bed. Chocolate. 

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Joseph Gordon-Levitt

34. What political issue stirred you the most? Hmmm, I'm burying my head in the sand a lot lately when it comes to the news, for the sake of my sanity.

35. Who did you miss? Anyone I don't see every day. 

36. Who was the best new person you met? New neighbors and Mia's preschool teachers and classmates.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014. I have to wake up every day and choose patience and kindness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment